Saturday 24 November 2012

Asus USB-N13 with Raspberry Pi

This weekend I set up my Raspberry Pi to connect to my home wireless network using an Asus USB-N13. The process was quite painless:
  • Install debian wheezy on a SD card, boot the Raspberry Pi off it.
  • Plug in a wired network connection.
  • As root (run "sudo -s") run "apt-get update".
  • As root, run "apt-get upgrade".
  • Plug in the Asus USB-N13.
  • Do a "lsusb" and make sure you see an entry for the wireless adaptor (the Bus and Device values may change):
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0b05:17ab ASUSTek Computer, Inc. USB-N13 802.11n Network Adapter (rev. B1) [Realtek RTL8192CU]

  • As root, run "apt-get install firmware-realtek" to make sure we have the Realtek firmware binaries installed.
  • As root, run "apt-get install wicd" to install Wicd: a network connection manager.
  • Start up the GUI (run "startx" from console if you booted into console).
  • Start "wicd-gtk".
  • Use the UI to configure your wireless adaptor.
  • Disconnect the wired ethernet and reboot your Raspberry Pi.
  • A few minutes after booting, Wicd should do its magic and the Raspberry Pi will appear on your network.

6 comments:

  1. Very nice.. was looking for this info to set up my asus N13. Glad i found this ... Thanks Dave. Works great no fuss no muss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great stuff, worked like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. worked for me, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I tried it but wicd configuration is not accepting my password, I tried other methods I found on the net but nothing, any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have this same error. I tried to follow theme but they didn't resolve it at the end.
      http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=125839

      Thank you.

      Delete